The first International Maritime Human Rights Conference will focus on explicitly addressing the issue of maritime human rights and associated welfare issues throughout the maritime environment by bringing together industry, civil society and government-level leaders for discussion and debate on current issues that universally affect the human element at sea.
The event will openly tackle human rights requirements in the maritime environment. It will explore topical and emerging matters, and it will investigate human rights protections and available remedies for abuses. Undertaken by both national and international experts, the event will deliver incisive commentary and concepts to the audience for consideration and debate.
Setting out commercial, government, academic and civil society positions on the issue of maritime human rights, the speaker line up will discuss and debate the following topics:
- The need for explicit engagement with human rights at sea
- Seafarer welfare – challenges, responsibilities and the future
- The fishing community – challenges and development
- Corporate Social Responsibility and application of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
- Refugees, migrants, immigration and shipping
- Investigation of human rights abuses at sea.
To learn more about the International Maritime Human Rights Conference, click below:
Image source: www.tsavliris.com