It is our pleasure to bring you preliminary details for the IBA War Crimes conference entitled The World in Crisis taking place at the Peace Palace, The Hague, the Netherlands on 04 February 2017.
Following the success of the previous conferences with 300 participants registered, this event will bring together leading war crimes experts from around the world to examine and review current situations of global significance and assess the legal implications.
Topics will include:
- Introductory remarks and Keynote – The World in Crisis: a review of significant events and cases of 2016 relating to war crimes
- The Refugee Crisis – Refugees as victims of slavery and other crimes
- The Funding of War – the sale of antiquities, trafficking and money laundering
- Peace vs. Justice – the Jus Post Bellum dilemma (Colombia, Yemen, Syria, Sri Lanka, Nepal)
- Immunities and Universal Jurisdiction: current national practice in relation to immunity ratione materiae and rationae personae and special mission immunity;
This is a must attend event for judges, prosecutors, criminal defence lawyers, in-house counsel, law enforcement officials, court and tribunal officers, students, academics and anybody with specific interest in international criminal law and war crimes. The sessions will be in a Question Time format moderated by experienced lawyers.
Registration to attend this event only cost 100 Euros
Young lawyers (under 30) will get a 20% discount on their registration fee
Click the following link to learn more about the event by reading the official programme:
For details of how to become a sponsor for this event, simply email firstname.lastname@example.org
Frederica D’Alessandra Harvard University, New York; Co-Chair, IBA War Crimes Committee
Jens Dieckmann Becher & Dieckmann, Bonn; Conference Coordinator, IBA Criminal Law Committee
Jonathan Grimes Kingsley Napley, London
Greg Kehoe Greenberg Traurig, Hillsborough, Florida
Image source: www.un.org
Text supplied by the IBA